Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The First Bank Robbery Ever!

Being a history buff, I would love to tell you about the first bank robbery ever. Having no internet connection means I cannot research that event and make this entry’s lead-in both exciting and factual. What I can do is repeat that I have no internet connection. Are you tired of hearing that? I’m tired of saying it.

So I won’t mention internet connections again, unless it is to tell you that I am again connected, and in the comfort of my own home.

While I cannot tell you of the first bank robbery ever, I CAN tell you about the first bank robbery Wuhan has ever experienced. It is quite shocking, even to me who has lived in the greater world where bank robberies and store robberies are considered no big deal. Underreported, even.

Wuhan’s first ever bank robbery occurred on December the 1st, 2011, at approximately 3:42PM, as an armored vehicle was making a pickup. Or was it a drop? The location of this robbery was at Guang Gu, the Optics Valley Plaza Mall, showplace of shopping and densely populated by students, fashionistas and businessmen alike.

While I am not sure of what exactly took place, I was informed that, while the armored car personnel was making their run into the building they were intercepted by a number (3? 4?) of robbers intent on grabbing the moneybags and fleeing. No civilians were hurt, but two people died. It was not clear to me whether those two people were armored car personnel or robbers.

Sam, shocked to his traditional Chinese core, related this to me as we were on the way to his house. He was going to help me make some online purchases, and then we were going to enjoy a dinner at his home. It had been a while since I had been to his house and an equally long time since I had laid eyes on his lovely wife Penny. Unfortunately the joy of the occasion was clouded by my grief and sorrow at Russ’ passing (see Numbing Pepper entry). Perhaps part of the reason that I didn’t catch many details is that I was trying to stifle my tears and dam my thoughts about my in-laws’ sadness.

It appears that, as I do, Sam banks with China Construction Bank, the bank that was robbed. Fortunately neither one of us banks at that branch; it is too far away from his home and from our, or Penny’s work. However, now that it is known that that bank is a target for robbers, he has advised Penny to not venture into any bank branch should there be an armored vehicle in front of it. He suggested the same thing to me.

This event is not only shocking for it being the first bank robbery in Wuhan but for it having been done boldly, in broad daylight and in such a crowded area as Guang Gu. At any given time of day people throng through this gigantic shopping mall. Every time I have been there and patronized that branch there have been people 5 and 6 deep at the ATM, and a lobby full of customers waiting for teller services. This is not some remote, po-dunk, dinky little branch of a bank. It is highly visible and heavily frequented.

All of that says nothing about the fact that robbery is about as contrary to Chinese culture as eating with a fork and knife. I simply cannot imagine the age, mentality or circumstances of the people who committed (or attempted to commit – still not sure if the robbery was successful) this act. What were they thinking?

Of course, I ask myself that question every time I hear of some stupidity like a robbery or other criminal activity. Don’t you?

This act is yet another reminder that the gentle, honorable way of life China has maintained is fast disappearing. I remember telling you, around this time last year that this society still largely operates on the Honor System (See entry of the same name, posted December of last year). In that entry I also told you about major department stores now having anti-theft devices at the door and lockers to store large bags in so you don’t get tempted to ‘accidentally’ drop something in without later paying for it. While these mute testimonies silently shout that the Era of Honor is over, this bank robbery proclaims it from the ramparts.

What is driving this turn away from tradition? Is it the desire for material wealth, wanting things that you haven’t earned yet? What drives any bank robber to rob a bank? Surely it cannot be a compulsion.

And speaking of compulsions: here is something else to frown about. If someone will attempt to rob a bank in broad daylight, can rape or murder be that far behind?

I remember reading about certain criminals whose acts were so vile they shocked the nation. One said he had this compulsion to eat his victims. Another also put the blame on his deeds being fueled by an uncontrollable urge. I’ve never heard bank robbers ascribing their actions to being a fixation. Have you?

Bank robbery is, in my opinion, driven by economic need. Whereas the taking of a life can be driven by passion and done on the spur of the moment, bank robberies take planning and preparation. Don’t they?

So who is or are the individuals who planned, prepared and conspired to commit the very first bank robbery Wuhan has ever experienced? I don’t know.

I don’t even know what their fate will be. There has been nothing else in the news about it. However, with this being the first ever robbery, I’m sure it will test the local and even national legal system. Unfortunately I’m equally sure that, shocking as this event was, it will prove to be a gateway for more such misdeeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment