Sunday, July 15, 2012

Broken vows

Today I break my vow of silence to tell you about a fantastic group I met yesterday: The Page Turners. They are a women's reading group in Tampa, FL who get together once a month (approximately) to discuss the book that they elected to read at their last meeting.

When I say 'meeting' I do not mean a stuffy boardroom, nor do I mean someone's house, gracious as it may be. Each meeting is held at an eclectic restaurant around Tampa. Yesterday's get together was at Byblo's Cafe (www.bybloscafe.com), in a trendy neighborhood of that city. 

I had the pleasure of addressing this club. Of course, I mentioned our blog. Everyone expressed interest and indeed are interested in learning more about China, the culture, teaching and living in a country that is so vastly different from America. Many had questions that, unfortunately there was no time to answer thoroughly. While handing out my card I invited each person to write me directly...

And that gave me an idea.

Blogging, by nature, is a solitary endeavor. And, it is a fairly self-centered undertaking. I can't legitimately report on other people's experiences, can I? Unless I interview them and get their permission to write their thoughts.

Thanks to the women of the Tampa Page Turners Club I got the inspiration to ask you: what are you interested in? What do you want to know about China? Which aspect of the culture would you like to see compared with America?

I invite you to email me at teamkrejados@gmail.com with your requests. What do you want to know about? What can I explore and report on for you?

And, if you happen to live in the Tampa area and enjoy a good read, good company and good food, please feel free to visit the Tampa Page Turners' website at http://www.meetup.com/Page-Turners-Tampa-Book-Club/ for their next meeting place, and what they are reading. I'm sure they'd be delighted to meet you, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment