Tuesday, May 29, 2012

KTV: The All-Chinese Pastime





In larger cities such as Shanghai and Beijing, nightclubs and discos flourish. Wuhan is not a small city per se but here, nighttime entertainment consists of KTV. Daytime entertainment too, for that matter. I’ve explained the genesis and mechanics in the entry KTV, Then and Now posted February of last year. With Ms. C. and her friends was the first time I experienced KTV with adults instead of college kids. It was not as innocent an activity.

While still at the dinner table, and not too well focused by virtue of alcohol consumption, all members of the dinner party agreed that prolonging the evening would not be a good idea. It was already 8PM. People had jobs to go to the next morning and Ms. C.’s son, who had been with us all day, had to go to school. Our party included another woman whose daughter, only 9 years old, also had school the next day.

I was secretly relieved that the day was coming to an end. I have no idea how much was spent on the two extravagant meals, the rented car, and the liquor that flowed so freely. I imagined it was a substantial sum, maybe even into the thousands range. That made me uncomfortable, especially knowing that the entire outing had been designed and planned to impress me. Being underdressed for the occasion didn’t help, although no one said anything about my attire and everyone accepted me just fine.

The whole day was too rich for my blood, even though I spent no money whatsoever. I prefer quiet, low key pursuits and one on one, or at least small group activities. That is why I felt I was in over my head. I was ready to get back to my quiet little house and read a book or watch a movie. 

However, after purging herself of most of the alcohol and all of the food in her system, Ms. C. was open to the suggestion of finishing the night out at KTV. Suddenly, so were most of the others in our party. It seems they reversed their position as soon as Ms. C. did. My vote didn’t count. I was the honored guest. I was to go along with everything. And so it came to be that our cars caravanned to the local KTV.

I still couldn’t tell you where ‘local’ was. We started at the school and went to Hanyang, a place I am very familiar with. Somehow Ms. C. held the opinion that, even after 2 years of living in Wuhan I still wasn’t getting out much and had no idea where anything was at. I didn’t correct her impression. That would have been rude. From Hanyang we traveled out to the countryside. That was when I declared myself truly lost.

The point of this entry was finishing the night at KTV, not whether I had my bearings. Which, in fact I did, having only slowly consumed two glasses of wine with lunch and one small glass of bai jiu at dinner. Everyone else was pretty much toasted, except for the Audi driver and the kids. This merry band stumbled into the extra fancy KTV lounge.

That is where things took an uncomfortable turn. There was some groping and passionate kissing going on. I was not a part of it and neither were the kids. We were just witnesses. I can’t imagine their level of comfort or even if they were uncomfortable witnessing adult behaviors such as drinking to excess and scenes with sexual overtones.

It really wasn’t a sleazy scene going on in our KTV room. Just occasionally a male hand found a female breast and once, Ms. C. and her male friend kissed passionately. Everyone kept all their clothes on. By American standards, the goings-on in our room were tame.

We all took turns singing, we danced, drank some more – beer, this time, and we had a chaperone or two. One of the KTV employees, dressed in a ‘naughty schoolgirl’ uniform – short plaid skirt, white blouse, knee socks and patent leather shoes, functioned as DJ. Another employee of the establishment, in orange pants and a tee-shirt, and carrying a walkie-talkie radio joined us when duty didn’t call her away. She was also kissed and groped by the other man in our party.

I was decidedly out of my element. Not only do I prefer less profligate doings but I am, and have always been uncomfortable in group adult situations. Not that I’m a prude or that I’m unknowing about what goes on in the adult world. I would just rather not be a witness to it. And, if I am to partake of adult behavior I’d just as soon there were no one else in the room with me and my partner, especially not children under the age of fourteen.

This was an interesting glimpse into the world of China’s nouveau riche. There seemed to be a manic fervor to the whole day, as though by sheer force of will and with enough money spent a good time could be had. The food, the drinking, the activities and the physical intimacy, what there was of it almost seemed contrived. Maybe that was why I didn’t really relax or feel like myself during the whole day.

I did not get ignored in favor of physical intimacy at KTV. I joined in on the toasts, personal and group. I was invited repeatedly to sing, even though I sang in English and everyone else sang songs in Chinese. I was invited to dance and even danced by myself occasionally.

The dancing was another sore point for me. Remember when I told you Chinese music seems atonal and arrhythmic? The Chinese are used to that sort of arrhythmia and their dancing reflects it. I, having always been tall, do not take kindly to being led while dancing. The men kept trying to lead me out of time to the music that I kept stepping in time to. It took a while to allow them to lead me in their syncopated choreography. That was two strikes against my dancing efforts. Again, I did not get ignored, I just didn’t fare well in this portion of the day’s activities.

Thankfully they ended soon enough. I stopped looking at the clock when we went into our KTV room and didn’t look at it again until we were in the car, on the way home at a little after 11PM. Seeing as our dinner at the converted greenhouse finished a little after 8PM, I concluded we spent nearly 3 hours in our KTV booth.

I felt bad for the kids who were along with us on the whole outing. Not only must they have been confounded at the complex undertones of the day but they must have been exhausted from participating it all. And they had school the next day.

My suspicion about the car and driver being rented for the day was finally confirmed at the end of the night, when we dropped Ms. C and her son off first. A few hugs and a sincere testimonial on my part to the good time we had, and she made her way unsteadily to her apartment, her son propping her up. Her male friend and I got back in the car and the driver dropped me off next. I’m not sure if I committed another social faux pas by not getting in the back seat with him once there was room available but I don’t think it mattered seeing as he was either drunk or very tired. He promptly fell asleep. The driver and I rode along in silence.

The next words I spoke were to give instructions on where to drop me off. I elected to walk along The Street and across campus, rather than to trouble him into driving me right to my door. Ms. C.’s friend woke up long enough to wish me goodnight and shake my hand, and then he crawled back into the car and fell asleep. The driver opened the trunk, gave me a case of what I thought was tea but turned out to be lotus soup and wished me good night.

By the time I got to my apartment I had such a terrible headache I could barely turn my head. Without turning on any lights I made my way through the house, shedding clothing and closing drapes. Still in the dark, I took 3 Tylenol, washed my face and went to bed. As I was falling asleep I reflected on the day’s events. Missing from my homecoming was the warm glow of a day spent in convivial company, as is usual when I go out with friends. What I felt was a relief that it was all over.

That, and the monster headache.                

No comments:

Post a Comment