Monday, October 11, 2010

Happy Birthday to Me!




It just so happened that my birthday nearly coincided with the freshman graduation extravaganza: it was actually the day after. However, the same day we were to witness the graduation ceremony is when the remembrances and gifts started pouring in.

My guys from Dallas Plant Maintenance sent the most touching and elaborate tribute: a series of pictures of them gathered ‘round a cake, holding up letters that spelled out ‘Happy Birthday Sophia’. It was sent in a special application that played music. Marjorie also sent a perfectly fitting birthday card with a song that said exactly how I felt, sung to the tune of Gloria Gaynor’s ‘I Will Survive’: Go on, now go! Bring me a cake! Don’t need no candle; there’s no wish I need to make!’ Marjorie could always pick ‘em. My kids didn’t forget me either: each sent a very touching email, and I talked with Jenn and my beloved Aftie for about 30 minutes. Of course, S.O. sent his tribute email and we managed a little bit of phone time too. That was really good.

With this outpouring of affection, no wonder I was welling up at the freshman graduation! And the day just kept getting better and better!

Sam informed me that the school was going to replace the computer in my apartment with an updated model; all I had to do was wait for them to download the English software and language pack to it. Waiting… that was a little bit of a problem because I was running just a little bit low on cash and I wanted to go into town and exchange some money. There was a holiday period coming up later this week and everything would be closed for the next 7 days; I didn’t want to actually run out of money. I probably wouldn’t have, but I don’t like cutting it so close, funds-wise.

When I told Sam my plans for the day he said I didn’t need to go out; the school was going to reimburse me my travel allowance early. Instead of waiting until the end of the semester as per our contract, they were going to compensate me for my flight and travel through China that day! Sam was right: I did not need to go to town. I got my new computer that afternoon.

Well remembered and with such outpourings of affection, a new computer to play with, and now flush with cash? Man! How much better could this day get?

As it turns out, the good things were not done happening yet. My colleague Victor, the other foreign language teacher offered up a nice card on his way out of town. Sam informed me there was going to be a variety show put on by the students and teachers of the school I could attend later that night. I had already seen the stage set up at one end of the soccer field and it looked quite professional; I was anticipating a really good show.

And it was a good show… but first I have to tell you about my students and their birthday surprise. Sam apparently let it leak out that the next day was my birthday; that was all my Cookie Cutter Girls needed. The news went around like wildfire and, come sundown, my Chinese Mommy and Dash came to get me. I thought we were going to the show – and we did. But first, a stop at the park behind my apartment, where about thirty of my students were waiting for me with a cake and gifts.

Man, I just can’t stop crying!

I gave a little speech, they clapped politely. And then they sat me down and handed me a cake cutting implement so I started serving this delicious looking cake all covered in gooey chocolate frosting. My taste buds were working overtime and I was really looking forward to enjoying this nice, creamy cake, but first I made sure everyone was served. Only after each student had a portion did I serve myself.

I didn’t know I was providing them with ammunition.

Yes, ammunition! For it is traditional in China to smear cake and frosting all over the ‘birthday girl’s’ face and neck! And then pelt chunks of cake at her! After the first student smeared my face I sat there in shock, wondering if this was my ‘Carrie’ moment where I get publicly humiliated and everyone laughs and points at me – for they were laughing and pointing. While still sitting there like a bump on a log, trying to comprehend this action, another student smeared my nose with cream and again they all laughed. ‘Carrie’ moment or not, I was going to get in on the action because by now, I could hear the kids all around, pelting each other with cake and dashing about. It was a veritable cake war and I was the first casualty, but I was going to take some of them down with me. After only 3 bites of this cake that was indeed delicious, I started pelting with the best of them.

Nailed a few of them pretty good, too! I never did catch the one that initially smeared my face though.

After a protracted battle and lots of laughter we washed up and proceeded to the gala show in an orderly manner, only barely managing to stifle our giggles. I sat with my Chinese Mommy, Dash and Lily (whose birthday it actually was) and enjoyed the show.

I did say that the kids got me a gift: a ‘pick your nose’ mug – a tall tea glass with a lid depicting a cartoon dog’s nose. I finally had a decent mug to brew tea in! I was laughed out and couldn’t cry anymore, even tears of happiness. The mug is cherished but did not get an outpouring of emotion.

The show was fantastic: lots of great music and funny skits. I got my Girls to dance with me and we had a great time. The gala ended with a massive fireworks display – what else? We are in China, after all! I didn’t think I would be able to sleep after all the excitement of this perfect day, but once I showered to make sure I was not taking a wad of frosting to bed with me, I slept like a log!

Happy birthday to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment