Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Holiday Season




I hope you had a very merry Christmas, and I wish you a peaceful and prosperous New Year. May all your dreams come true!

It’s been a while, hasn’t it? I wasn’t aware of the passage of time till one of my most faithful correspondents, Kevin informed me I’ve not posted anything since December 3rd. How could I have not written anything for nearly a month?

It’s not exactly like I’ve written nothing. I took on a freelance job, writing articles and doing translation work. I’ve not gotten rich from it, but it did take some time. Also, the classes I had this semester! Disheartening… The students barely spoke any English, and most were more interested in their cellphone than anything I have to offer. Still, I went to great lengths to plan lessons that would entertain, amuse and educate.

Don’t blame my conspirators for my blogging lapse. In no way is it their fault. They stand by, wait for me to write and send. They’ve been waiting a long time, this time. They are supportive… more than you can imagine! And they are understanding. One day, while talking of this dry spell, they pointed out that, after having been here for more than 3 years, I may have just run out of things to write about. At least, lighthearted, funny things. I have no end of ponderous subjects to tackle. Maybe because I’ve been in a ponderous phase lately. I hope to do away with that, or at least most of it, next year.

And now, it is New Year. Let’s get ready to say ‘goodbye’ to 2013. It was a good year. There were some tears… just enough to appreciate the joy and laughter that much more. Joy and laughter… there was a lot of that!  

In China, people are gearing up for their most significant holiday celebration: Lunar New Year. Most of our school’s upperclassmen have already gone home, their semester complete. The freshmen, poor remainders, are counting the days till they can board that train or bus. One or two will fly home – a sign of ever-increasing wealth. Never, till this year had any of my students boarded a plane.

I reflect on the irony that I live in China eleven months out of the year but leave just in time for their major holiday, after having spent America’s major holiday(s) in China. Is there no end to my contrariness?

Contrary or not, here I go. In ten days I will be winging stateside with my suitcase full of gifts for my loved ones. I’ll dash here and there, sleep on this couch and that floor, at times wonder where I am… and love every minute of it.

I hope you will find joy and happiness in the coming year. If sorrow should visit you, I hope it doesn’t stay long, and that it is kind. See you next year!    

  

No comments:

Post a Comment