Thursday, April 26, 2012

Goin’ To The Chapel, Gonna Get Married!



Of course, not me!!! Oh, I’m going to the chapel alright, I’m not getting married though.

And, come to think of it, there will be no chapel involved.

My friend Ken, he who lives in Xi’an, is getting married on Monday. A Monday wedding, you ask? Well, yes.

Remember that China is not rooted to a strict Gregorian calendar. Makes it kind of confusing for those of us who used to plan their weekend activities around when banks and post offices are closed. Here they’re open 7 days a week, from 7AM till about 5PM. It is kind of disorienting, as a matter of fact. I’ll talk more about that in a few posts from now, when I talk about other things I still have not gotten used to after 2 years in China.

Tuesday, May 1st is Labor Day in China. Many people have extended the holiday into a long weekend, starting their travel on Friday and returning to school or office on Wednesday. That made buying a train ticket a competitive sport, as always during a holiday here. Luckily I was able to score a ticket for a sleeper car to Xi’an on Friday. Ken bought my return ticket in advance for Monday night so that I’d be guaranteed a bunk on a train in time to teach on Wednesday.

Of course that means I will be in Xi’an longer than I anticipated. Originally I planned to leave on Sunday night and return on the Tuesday morning train. That way I would not have to incur a hotel room charge. As it turns out I will be in Xi’an early Saturday morning and leave out on Monday, after the wedding.

Which lends itself to logistical problems. It is distinctly uncomfortable to travel in ‘wedding appropriate’ attire, and I won’t have any place to change clothes after the wedding. And, how am I going to pack and transport wedding appropriate attire if I’m only packing an overnight bag?

You’ll remember from the George is Getting Married post, back in December 2010 that weddings do not take place in a chapel or church, but in a restaurant. Usually in a fancy hotel. Although no special attire is required I would not want to be the only one who shows up in travel duds.

I have all night to figure that out. I only have a few minutes to get this out to you though, so you come first. I’m sorry to say that I’m going to have to take a short blogging break to go attend this wedding, but I do have exciting things to report on upon my return so, stay tuned, OK?

Have a great week, everyone!    

No comments:

Post a Comment